OT: Gnome and the Sun Type 7 Keyboard
Lars Tunkrans
2007-07-20 09:47:23 UTC
A bit off topic

As the CDE desktop fades into the background,
Is there any work being done to customize
JDS/Gnome towards the SUN Type 7 keyboard
and its bank of 10 extra keys ( ie copy,paste, a.s.o keys )

My experience with Customers during the last year or so
is that there is only frustration and confusion as to why
a workstation or SunRay keyboard has this bank of ten non working keys.

If a customization of JDS/Gnome towards the type 7 keyboard
is not goning to happend, I believe we would be better off
with standard PC keyboards.

//Lars

Calum Benson
2007-07-20 10:43:48 UTC
Post by Lars Tunkrans
A bit off topic
As the CDE desktop fades into the background,
Is there any work being done to customize
JDS/Gnome towards the SUN Type 7 keyboard
and its bank of 10 extra keys ( ie copy,paste, a.s.o keys )
The extra keys have worked in JDS in the past (on other keyboards at
least), so if they don't now I'd suggest it's a regression/bug that
should be fixed.

Unfortunately, a lot of the extra keys don't really have an obvious use
in JDS the way they did back in the SunView/OpenWindows/CDE days (e.g.
Props, Again), but we're always open to suggestions.

Cheeri,
Calum.
--
CALUM BENSON, Usability Engineer Sun Microsystems Ireland
mailto:calum.benson-xsfywfwIY+***@public.gmane.org GNOME Desktop Group

Darren Kenny
2007-07-20 11:01:03 UTC
As you say, some of them should work, e.g. Front should being windows to the
front, but unfortunately not al keys easily map to GNOME - but that doesn't
exclude you from assigning some function to the keys using GNOME Keybindings
Properties.

Please log a bug if you think that something isn't working as you'd expect.

Darren